Friday, August 10, 2007

Frankly, my dear, I don't GIVE a damn

Vandoos puzzled by anti-war sentiment of fellow Quebeckers

...[B]ut when the conversation shifts toward people back home in his native province of Quebec who oppose his participation in NATO's fight against the Taliban insurgency, Pte. Archambault's smile quickly fades.

“They look at us like dimwits,” he said. “I don't want to be looked at like that. … I've once had a woman tell me, ‘If there weren't people like you, there wouldn't be any wars.' That's angering.”

...[B]ut to their fellow Quebeckers, the Vandoos's sense of purpose draws little sympathy for the mission. In fact, recent polls suggest as many as two-thirds of Quebeckers would like Canada to pull its troops from Afghanistan.
You may be able to take a person out of Quebec, but you can't take Quebec out of the person, I guess. Most Canadians in other provinces also feel that the Afghanistan debacle is just that, a black hole to throw money and lives into.

So, Pte. Archambault, you're angry because you've "...[h]ad a woman tell me, ‘If there weren't people like you, there wouldn't be any wars.". Well, she's right, you know. War should not be waged or fought by people who are failures at everything else. And war is the ultimate failure.

And if you're angry at people who oppose it, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment